10/22/2002

Every vegetable farm needs greenhouses

Filed under:General — eric @ 1:50 am

This last weekend, I cashed in the money I received for directing the play in Commerce for two greenhouses for the farm. They’re much like these, but 14 feet wide and 48 feet long. In them, we’ll be able to start all of our vegetable seedlings and extend the growing season considerably. I’m excited to get them, and am looking forward to building them in the upcoming weeks. I never thought I’d be able to afford them so soon, but a local nursery makes their own and sells the pieces to other area growers for little more than cost. So they were a fraction of what I’d thought they’d cost us.

In other farm news, we scoped out the local small animal livestock auction the other night. I’d hoped to see what the goats looked like, but there weren’t any of those. Instead, there were many, many birds (with a few fighting cocks in there) and rabbits. We ended up buying a couple guinea fowl, possibly a boy and a girl. They are very pretty and yet somehow among the ugliest birds I’ve ever seen. And loud. They’re very good at eating ticks and (supossedly) fire ants. They make loud screeches at anything they don’t know (though with the memory span of a goldfish, that’s most everything). We really got them to help us battle to large Cooper’s Hawks that have set up home on our land. They’ve already gotten at least one chicken, and we’re trying to persuade them to go eat elsewhere. I’m hoping they’re just passing through on the migratory trail.

Also, a puppy may be arriving soon.

1. you might be getting a puppy? what kind? a mutt?

Comment by kim — 10/22/2002 @ 6:42 am

2. Wish I woulda had me some Guinea Fowl to pick the ticks off of me this weekend when a mass of them descended on myself and my walking buddy on a moonlight stroll around Lake Geneva…farm life here in Wisconsin is slowing down much to the joy of my overworked room-mate…hope you too will soon have time to sleep.

Comment by M — 10/22/2002 @ 6:58 am

3. Congratulations on the greenhouses, you big success you! I’ve been keeping an eye out for one of those walk-behind tractors for you. I’ve only been seeing brush hogs, though…

Comment by Matt — 10/23/2002 @ 9:12 am

4. The Cooper’s Hawks finally took a chicken, did they? Good luck w/ the Guinea Fowl!

Comment by Jen — 10/24/2002 @ 2:46 am

5. How would the Guinea Fowl work to discourage the Cooper’s Hawks?

Comment by Matt — 10/25/2002 @ 9:34 am

6. I only have anecdotal evidence, but several folks with pastured poultry have said that their problems with hawks were reduced when they got Guineas. Guineas are very loud, and they squawk at anything they perceive to be a threat. They squawk when they see hawks, the chickens hear the squawking, and then run to the shelter of the barn. We’ll see how it works. We’re trying several thins that cumulatively should make living with the hawks possible.

Comment by eric — 10/25/2002 @ 10:10 am

7. yes. any good security network person will tell you its much better to a layered aproach to making things safe instead of a extra hard candy shell with soft squishy insides.

Comment by crash — 10/25/2002 @ 11:30 am