6/25/2002

I’m an egg seller

Filed under:General — eric @ 5:22 am

Like with many other agriculture products, the state of Georgia is very strict on who can sell eggs. If people come to your farm, it doesn’t matter, but the moment you bring an egg off your farm to sell to someone else, the state steps in. It used to be that folks with only a few chickens who sold less than 30 dozen eggs a week could escape regulation, but the large producers successfully sued the state into changing that law. Well, actually, they threatened a lawsuit and pressured the legislature into closing the hole for the little guy.

So, to be able to sell eggs at the market, I had to get liscensed by the Ag department. Today the regional guy-in-charge came by and gave me a two hour class and a written and practical test. I passed, so now I’m liscensed. However, I’m still supposed to buy some special equipment, and I’m not supposed to sell just “eggs”. They have to be graded and sized, just like the eggs from the store. We’ll see how well that goes…

1. See…all that talk about “grades” and “size” not mattering really WAS a bunch of crap.

Comment by M — 6/25/2002 @ 5:29 am

2. “That’s why we southerners prefer white eggs…” yet another indication that I am not a southerner… like we didn’t already know that.

Comment by Jen — 6/26/2002 @ 1:47 am

3. Is the grading/sizing equipment expensive? Do they (you know, THEM) manufacture hand equipemnt for grading/sizing?

Comment by Matt — 6/26/2002 @ 9:05 am

4. I remember this great local farm in Maine that we used to get eggs from (you know, when I lived in Maine).. you’d stop by and go down into the cellar where the eggs were also (you guessed it) separated by grade and size. But (seeing as I was probably, what, 12?) mostly I remember that they had brown eggs. For some reason brown eggs have always seemed better to me than white ones. Green ones take the cake, though. I think the Ag Council should just make people sort their eggs by color.

Comment by Jen — 6/26/2002 @ 9:33 am

5. Matt, if I were to follow every letter of the law, the cost would be prohibitive, yes. I suppose that’s one reason why the big companies are so adamant about lobbying to make everyone follow the same rules, and not just in the egg business. I can make a candler (a bright light that shines though the egg) for not too much maoney, and find an inexpensive postage scale to weight the eggs. But every carton is supposed to be labelled in a certain way — I’m not allowed to recycle other cartons. And they have to be stored “and displayed” in refrigeration under 45 degrees (not something easily done out in a parking lot under a tent). But I’m creative, so there’ll be a way to make it work.

Also, Jen, the inspector had never seen a green egg before. Asked me if it was a chicken egg. His candler wouldn’t shine through it very well (making grading near impossible, natch). He commented, “That’s why we southerners prefer white eggs. You can see what’s in ‘em.”

Comment by eric — 6/26/2002 @ 9:55 am

6. At the natural food store we used to collect used egg cartons from patrons to return to The Egg People, our local small-to-medium-size egg producer (their business was small-to-medium, not the eggs…well, I suppose the eggs were too)…then, maybe around 1997 or 1998 they told us to stop collecting the cartons, because they weren’t allowed to recycle them anymore…people never did stop bringing the cartons in…after a while we stopped bothering to tell them to stop and just recycled them with the other cardboard.

Comment by M — 6/26/2002 @ 11:33 am

7. i want to buy sum kestrel eggs ive heard u need to obtain a lincense to keep kestrels? could you please get back intouch with some informations thanks rob

Comment by rob — 7/7/2007 @ 4:37 pm