5/16/2002

Total Loss

Filed under:General — eric @ 12:59 pm

I just was told that a pack of dogs came through the farm just now. It appears that, except for one hen that is sitting on some eggs, all the chickens are dead. Hopefully most of them made it through and are just hiding somewhere, but Chris has found a lot of bodies and no signs of life. It all happened in a few minutes.

Another two weeks at the most, and they would have been safe inside the electric fence with their new barn.

UPDATE: Maybe not a total loss. Only one of last year’s flock is now missing. Our transexual rooster guided them to safety, somewhere. A few of the little birds have come home, some wounded. I’ll have to count bodies tonight.

ANOTHER UPDATE: All ten of the older birds are OK. The young flock was hit hard. We recovered twenty-five bodies. Twenty-seven are home, some with what all appear to be minor wounds. Fifteen are missing. I found a few birds alive a couple acres away, still hiding in the briars. Many of the bodies were in the thickets, too, and there are likely to be more we missed.

1. I’m really sorry to hear this…

Comment by M — 5/16/2002 @ 2:50 am

2. I too am sadden by your loss. those were some of the first live chickens I ever caught. But i am happy to hear that atleast you still have some.

Comment by crash — 5/17/2002 @ 3:54 am

3. Sonuvabitch!! Is there anything I can do to help?

Comment by Matt — 5/17/2002 @ 9:01 am

4. Oh my god! I am so sorry. At least some of them made it, but this is terrible. {{hugs}}

Comment by Jen — 5/17/2002 @ 9:08 am

5. i am really sorry to hear about this eric…maybe you would like some new chickens rather than a goat (assuming i ever have the money to get either)…

Comment by kim — 5/17/2002 @ 10:23 am

6. Eric, that’s terrible!

This is one of those time when I want to say something profound and comforting, but find myself equppied only with platitudes. I will spare you the reading of them. Perhaps if you imagine that this short missive is surprisingly comforting….

Comment by Jason — 5/17/2002 @ 11:41 am

7. eric and chris, we are sorry about what happened
    to the chickens. in fact, it sucks. is there
    anything we can do to help let us now.
    anything on the reunion for ‘Hot L’? let me know if you have a seperate website for it.
    love you guys.
    cindy

Comment by cindy — 5/21/2002 @ 9:52 am

8. Is it the season for this? Yesterday a local Golden Retriever came through my yard and ran off with one of my hens in her mouth (I only have two). A neighbor who loves the chickens tackled the dog, and she got away with a broken wing and a puncture wound. She’s now in a dog kennel on my kitchen table, where she spent the night, panting.

I’m so sorry about your loss. I came to your Web site because I was feeling sad about my birds; now I’m feeling terrible about yours, too. Please let your Web site fans know if there’s anything you need.

Comment by judith — 6/5/2002 @ 2:18 am