4/16/2002

I used to be an astronomer

Filed under:General — eric @ 10:56 am

I just stumbled upon a brief description of an astrophysics project I worked on during the summer of 1992, a “non-trivial” massaging of data from a full-sky survey at the 34.5 MHz radio frequency. The results were satisfactory, and to finish the summer I gave a talk in front of the resident astronomers detailing the project. It looks like the entire survey is on-line, complete with images you can see in your browser. My name’s not on that page, but I’m pretty sure those are my images. I drifted away from astrophysics the following year, mostly because most of the successful physicists I knew were far more consumed by their study than I wanted to be. Still, it’s neat when I run across remnants of my former career path.

1. Hey! Have you seen the picture of Jean Eilek on the Tech webpage (http://physics.nmt.edu/Department/faculty.html)…dig those funky sunglasses!

Comment by M — 4/16/2002 @ 1:33 am

2. Say! Do you think if we say Kevin Healy’s name 300 times he’ll show up to the party like Jason probably will?

Comment by M — 4/16/2002 @ 1:35 am

3. “Kevin Healy”.

Comment by Jason — 4/16/2002 @ 5:51 am

4. Damn Dave Raymond! (shake fist) Damn him to hell!

Comment by M — 4/16/2002 @ 11:15 am

5. Well, it’s not all his fault. He gave me some clarity of thought, though I didn’t realize it until well after we butted heads.

Have you seen his textbook: a radically modern approach to introductory physics? I wouldn’t mind teaching from that text myself, actually. Some of what he’s written reminds my of the talk Kevin Healy and I gave before the physics department suggesting changes to the intro classes. From what I recall, Dr. Raymond was cooly open to our suggestions. It looks like he’s on the right track with this.

Comment by eric — 4/16/2002 @ 11:39 am